Thursday, January 29, 2009

Patience Tried, all I can do is smile

So having kids of my own isn't something that will happen very soon, well to your standards, but to me soon is 6 years from now, after I have celebrated my 10th year anniversary.
So in the mean time I've been surrounding myself with kids, Middle school, High school, 4th and 5th grade. Especially because I genuinely love being around them.
The great thing for me is though, when I am done hanging out with them they get to go home to their parents. Easy for me right ?
I also have been having making an effort to spend quality time with my niece and nephews, at least once a month.
This past weekend they came over, and it was really fun.
But I came upon some issues, I suppose I can call it preparation for when I have a clan of my own.

You see, I needed to be somewhere at 6:30pm. I had 40 min. to drop them off back home (two different places). I told them a half hour prior to leaving that we needed to start packing up all their things (I never realized how many things 3 kids could bring over, for just 1 night, not even 24 hours, haha, man my parents dealt with so much with me!).

So the two oldest, start packing up their stuff.
Oh I forgot to mention, they didn't eat any food the entire time they were at the house, they ate nothing but popcorn and cookies, I finally made them pancakes, and ran out of batter, at 5:00 in the evening.
Okay, sorry about that. So the oldest two were ready to go, I now had a half hour to drive on opposite sides of town. I'm in the car waiting on the littlest one.

So after waiting for quite some time, I run in the house, and find him still standing in the hallway, taking his precious time.
I didn't want to get mad at him, so I kindly motivated him to hurry up.
Well that didn't work. He still needed to pack his bag, and put his shoes on, we couldn't find his socks, haha, and his jacket.
That is another story.

His jacket is one of those reversible ones. Since I am not a parent I am not up to tabs on the cool technology of outerwear. So anyways, I am trying to help him get his jacket on, turn it ride side in/out, and well we finally get one sleeve on, but the other is stuck, he already has his snow gloves on, but they are to huge and so his hands don't fit through his jacket.
Frustrated to the core of my being, all I could do was laugh. I didn't want to make him feel bad.

I was reminded that I need to be patient. He's just a kid and if I am late I am late, get over it.

So I grab the rest of his belongings, manage to zip him up in his jacket, with no hands and get to the car.

I get in on my side, and see that little Killean can not get the door open (since he has no hands).
The other two start laughing at him, I laugh because I can't do anything else.
He slips on the ice, lays outside the car, while I lean over and get the door open.
I help him in. Hand less, he attempts to shut the door, and fails to, because he left one leg in the door, and tries shutting it with his leg jammed in the frame.
I continue laughing, (now he thinks he is a comedian) but deep down inside I want to scream.

Finally we take off, I am now drifting off into space, thinking of the best/safest/quickest way to get all of them home.

Killean breaks my train of thought,
"I got it!!!"
"What?" I ask.
"My hands! They are free!"

I laugh again.

And again.
and again.
Even now, through out the week, I laugh about this.

I am so glad that God is patient with us.
That he doesn't give up, that he doesn't yell at us, I wonder if at times he laughs at us.
I suppose he does.

I learned a valuble lesson.
Really I did.

Laughing made that frustrating experience so much more hilarious to me.
IF I would have gotten angry, it wouldn't be very funny.
well to me at least.

Life is short, and we need to have moments of joy, through frustration.
I am not ready to be a mom, but this doesn't stop me from ever wanting to become one.
I am just glad that I get to experience life like this.
I just want to enjoy these moments.
My neice and nephews will grow up sooner than I think, they already are.

But whatever may be, I want to thank the Lord, joyously for loving us!
And so we can love others!

Think of this,

It takes more muscles to frown then to smile.
It's easier to smile.
I think that says a lot about our God.

No comments: