Friday, April 3, 2009

Empower, don't manipulate...

So I am struggling with my students, maybe it's because I don't have kids of my own, so I am missing out on the joys of parenting, or maybe it's because I am just a JERK! A merciless Jerk.

Yep. I will go with that one. I am jerk. (There I confessed my sin, I feel a little better).

So it's on the issue of worship.
Now when I say worship I mean this...
wor·ship(wûr'shĭp) Pronunciation Key n.
The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.
The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.
Ardent devotion; adoration.

So yeah, with the students, we sing songs, I teach them to play music, to play their instruments well, to sing beautifully, and even if they mess up to give God their imperfections.
So we have the adoration down. That is great, they do this ONCE a week.

We pray together, I don't want to underestimate my students, but we do that together ONCE to TWICE a week ( I hope they do more than that on their own)

But what about the rest.
Reverent love and devotion???

So that is what I've been trying to do, teach them love and devotion to God.
You can't make anyone do anything, and I don't want to manipulate.
So I live by example and give them opportunities to step out and LOVE God, and DEVOTE their live's to Him, through worship.
Not music, which is better known as worship.

Okay, so the two things I've been working on are this:

1. I am trying to teach the kids about giving their money to the Lord, to help others.
So we are raising money to help a child in Iraq get heart surgery done. It's with an organization called, Buyshoessavelives.com.

I've made them aware, told them, to put in $5 a week, that is like 50 cents a day, towards this,
nothing. I told them penny's. Sell things they don't need or use anymore, replace your coke, or candy, energy drinks for the week with an opportunity to give, and save a life.
I gave them scriptures, I was even the first person give,
But nothing.
They pray "God, we're so excited about helping save a life, this will be awesome!"
Well yay! They prayed that, but they aren't doing anything.

I told them we could have a garage sale.
Play a show and raise money that way, have a bake sale.
They we're all fine with that.

I don't know how to motivate them.

So second
2. We have an event coming up at the Homeless Center,
and none of them can make it.
They keep giving me excuses.
I tell them that Worshiping God is giving your time, and helping those in need.

So I guess I am going to go to the Homeless Center alone, or cancel.

I don't want them to feel manipulated.
I don't want them to hate me, or feel forced to Love God.

They don't live with me everyday, so they don't see what I do outside the church.
I wish they could, because I think it would help, but all in all,
I am running out of ideas.
I am finding no joy in this.

My heart breaks because of selfish this world is.

I want to reverse this.
But I just feel like giving up.
If I do though, then I am a failure.

I know that God has called me to do this, I just am running out of ideas.
I want to empower them,
to Give them a reason.
I teach to them every week about this,
giving your time, money, resources, LIFE, to Christ,

so I figured instead of talking about it every week,
we will DO something.

And now that we are doing something,
nothing is happening.

I feel like I am failing.










But,
there is hope, I know.
Just because things are difficult, or aren't going the way I planned doesn't mean it won't eventually happen.
I just thought my kids we're ready to step out in their faith, and Trust God on a deeper level.


If you have anything encouraging to say,
or if you want to correct me in my thinking,
or if you want to give me ideas, a Bible verse, something.
Or even prayer, I would greatly appreciate this.


I am open minded right now.
I don't know anything about what I am doing.
I am just trying to figure things out along the way, and the only way that is going to happen is if I get my hands dirty.

No comments: